History of St. James Episcopal Church

The adherents of the Protestant Episcopal faith of the borough have formed a congregation, and all effort has been started toward the erection of a sanctuary in the borough. By a call issued last week, Services were held in Galloway Hall on Sunday, which was attended by almost a half-hundred Episcopalians, and from the interest manifested It is believed the building of an Episcopal church is not far off in the Distant future. The nearest Episcopal Church to the borough is at Ridley Park, or the mission at Essington.
(Chester Times, December 20, 1906)


Dec. 1906-  Evening prayer service held in local hall after which Christ Episcopal Church, Ridley Park forms a mission and appointed Rev. Belknap Nash Vicar


Mar. 1907- Episcopal Diocese in Philadelphia approves establishment of Mission and services continued in local hall for next 3 yrs


June 1909- 3 lots were purchased on the corner of 11th and Lincoln Ave. and ground was broken on a new church building


January 25, 1910- 1st service held in new church with more than 200 in attendance


Prospect Park’s new parish house will be dedicated this Evening, the service to be begun at 8 o’clock. The ceremony will be in charge of Bishop Jaggar, Rev. Francis M. Taitt, of St. Paul’s P. E. Church, Chester, who is dean of this county, will be present and will assist with the service. Four candidates for admission to the church will be confirmed at the conclusion of this dedication ceremonies.
(Chester Times, January 25, 1910) 


1929- Present Day church building and rectory completed


May 1945- the mission achieved parish status, the first Vestry was formed, and the Vicar at that time, Fr. Reinhardt, was called as the first Rector of the Parish.


May 1951- Fr. Reinhardt dies and is entombed in concrete in the newly created Memorial Garden


1952-additional property was purchased for further expansion on Eleventh Ave. 


1962- Cornerstone was laid and parish hall completed/dedicated as a memorial to St. James’ first Rector, Fr. Reinhardt. 


2018- Major renovations occur in the undercroft 

image3